Tuesday, September 9, 2014

My Day Off

I ended up having a pretty wonderful day off yesterday. Dea had classes in the morning and in the evening with a huge break between, so I went over to her school to spend the down-time with her and bother Dad because he doesn’t get enough of that at home. Orson introduced me to two of his students this semester, both of whom seemed to have heard of me since one of them mentioned the possibility of needing tutoring for his chemistry classes.

I took the liberty of reserving one of the auditoriums (it’s not a black box theater but the stage is collapsible and they use folding chairs for seats, so otherwise it is completely bare, as it was today, and it has a great dance floor) and surprised Dea by bringing her there for an extended dancing session.

It was very relaxed day, not full of chores and errands like most of my days off tend to be. And although Dea and I haven’t been able to dance together this year as much as we usually do (we usually do one or two competitions by the time October comes around), I think we probably had more fun tripping over each other today in an effort to reclaim our of-late unused muscle-memory. But we also have our best conversations when we’re dancing together. We never shut up. Someone even poked their head in to tell us we were laughing too loudly.

We had dinner on campus afterward but brought it out to the quad to have a picnic of a sort before she had to go to her physics class. She conned me into painting her toenails tonight when we got home and she had me butcher French at her all the while (un cheval porte un manteau vert, if you’re looking for an example of my stellar aptitude, and yes, I am very much aware that I just said a horse wears a green coat, but when she asks me to begin a conversation, it’s dead silence or saying something absurd, and I will always go for the latter). I read a bit to her afterward (we’re still not through the Well of Lost Plots) and I put her to bed when she fell asleep on me.

The day was pretty much perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment